Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
Wanting to get into a HS as a Strength Coach
Aaron M Hart, CSCS 6/19/2012 11:51:54 PM
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 5:32 PM

Hello Everyone,

I want to get into a High School as a Strength coach and I'm posting on here to ask a question.

How did you get into your current position in a school and how long have you been there?

-Aaron Hart

Kevin B. Vanderbush, MS, CSCS,*D, RSCC,*E 6/6/2012
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 10:04 PM

Coming out of college in 1984 I went to a teacher recruitment day on campus and the personnel director saw that I had strength coach listed.  School happened to have desire to hire first strength coach.  That was 30 years ago.

In the past year in Indiana there have been two full time strength coaching positions (PE Teacher teaching strength class plus after school strength coaching) that I know of.  In the last couple years there have been 2 that were connected to the hospital programs that supply nurses, athletic trainers and strength coaches to high schools.

How you go about it depends on geographic location.  If not wanting to move, find out what type of positions are hired in the schools in your area.  If schools haven't figured it out, it may take setting up meetings with high school AD's - presenting your case - and seeing if they are willing to take the plunge.   If willing to move strength performance network occasionally has high school positions posted.

Eric Reed, CSCSD 8/13/2012 3:34:57 PM
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 8:09 PM

Aaron,

I had a background in strength and conditioning from college and I wanted to get into coaching football.  Once the coaching staff saw my resume they asked if I would run the summer program.  Due to the success of the football team, an opening came up for Head wrestling coach and with my background in strength and conditioning, I got the job.  I have been a sport coach and strength coach since then.

To me it was a lot easier to lead the strength and conditioning programs I have been a part of because I was a part of the teams staff all ready.  I have been helping young coaches in Arizona find schools and programs to build, ever since.

Getting involved in associations, getting your CSCS and networking are the best things you can do.

Email me if you have any other questions ericreedaz@gmail.com

Wish you the best.

MR John E. Girton, CSCS 6/5/2012 11:59:13 AM
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 9:29 PM

After working a duel strength coach/athletic trainer in the college setting I looked at Teaching in the high schools. I got in Northern Virginia as an teacher/athletic trainer. With my background I was able to teach the weight training classes (usually reserved for the football coaches), and did athletic training after school for about 4 years. During that time I was able to convinced the athletic director they needed a certified strength coach after school and we created the position. I am the only full time (teacher & after school) strength coach in the county, but trying to convince the county to up their game. I've now had the program for 3 years. It has been a slow process, but we are staring to really get rolling now and the coaches and ADs are buying in and seeing the results. 
I know I am a little different going through it as an ATC, but coaching a sport, any sport would be a way to get your foot in the door. Offering to talk with coaches, principles and AD's I've found most would be receptive.    

Brian Torres 6/17/2012 10:39:56 PM
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 12:42 PM

I have also have a similar route as John's.  

I had been a full time Athletic Trainer for 5 years and was enrolled in Grad School working on a MS in Strength and Conditioning.  With Grad School coming to an end and wanting to become a full time strength coach I had found a position for a hybrid SC/ATC job and ended up at Tabor Academy, a New England boarding school with about 500 students.  I currently work about 90% of my time as a Strength Coach and 10% as an ATC mainly providing game coverage.

I think your doing the right thing and looking for the stories of how we have found work in this profession.  The one thing I would suggest is to network as much as possible.  Getting to know and keeping in contact more people within the profession will help out in gaining information about job openings as well as possible referrals to employers.  

Good Luck

Douglas P. Bull, CSCS 6/3/2012 8:52:30 PM
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 11:34 AM

Aaron,

I started as a strength and conditioning coach at the college level.  After about 5 years, I became so frustrated with high school strength coaches and spending their entire freshman fall correcting poor lifting techniques; I made the conscience decision to go to the high school level.  I figured I would be able to have a greater impact on more students and the ones that were able to play at the next level would be ahead of the majority of the other freshman from a technique standpoint.

Initially I had to coach football, track, and run the off-season program at the first two schools I was at.  I was recruited by my current Athletic Director and I have been in my current position for the past 8 years, and the position has evolved since my arrival.  The first year I taught the strength and conditioning aspects before school, after school, and during the 3 athletic periods to the sports utilizing the facilities.  I was also the teacher of record for 3 physical education weight training classes.  After that first year, I was relieved from my physical education classes and my focus was solely on our athletes.  I now work with 13 sports and over 750 athletes on a year round basis.  This past year we renovated all 4 of our Jr. High weight rooms and created a Jr. High developmental program to teach all of those athletes the fundamental movements before they get to me.

Hope that helps, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out.

Doug Bull M.S., C.S.C.S.

Dist. Strength & Conditioning Coordinator

Deer Park High School                                                             

710 W San Augustine

Deer Park, TX 77536

dbull@dpisd.org

832-668-7243 ext 5

www.dpstrength.com