Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
HS Session at National Conference
Kevin B. Vanderbush, MS, CSCS,*D, RSCC,*E 6/6/2012
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:19 PM

Some notes/thoughts from the HS Solutions Session at the national conference:

We had about 50 in attendance and sat at round tables - moving part way through to meet more than those at the original table.

Some mentioned that others would have attended, but were not aware that anyone could attend.  It was also determined that a large number were not aware of the this forum.  The difficulty in moving through the NSCA site was also discussed.  The term SIG is one that is confusing to some.  Communication with the high school coach is definitely an issue.  We need to find a way to develop a directory of all high school coaches.  (see previous post - please send me your information) 

The group consensus was that developing a facebook group for the high school strength coach would be more effective than the forums.  (more info on that will be coming)  Those in attendance said that it is something that is already being used (by all but me) and would allow for notifications when posts are made.  We are going to give this a try.  Communication between high school coaches between the conferences has been poor.  We need to find a way to learn from each other.  This should help allow us to post questions - share new ideas etc. in a manner that would be accessible by all members.  Once this is up we talked about trying to get the NSCA to send an e-mail blast out to all high school members notifying them about the site.  One of the concerns with this is still the reluctance of the NSCA to give access to e-mail addresses and the fact that not all high school affiliated coaches are listed as such with the NSCA.

Having access to a room at conferences was discussed.  Getting together with other high school coaches could be the most educational time at the conference.  This wouldn't cost the NSCA any more money to leave a room open for us to meet.  Another idea was to have certain coaches come - during this time - to present short talks on their best ideas.  (things like having 6 coaches talk for 10 minutes each and then open the floor for discussion)

The HS SIG Executive Council format was discussed.  There are guidelines given by the NSCA that allow for up to 7 to serve on the council.  Those interested in applying should contact me at kevin.vanderbush@wayne.k12.in.us with a resume and statement of interest.  

Everyone agreed that having more high school speakers would make the conferences more valuable.  Having a day long run of high school guys would help.  Those that have not spoken before were encouraged to get experience at the state and regional level so that they can have someone speak to the conference committee with a recommendation.

Having a state organization that accumulates listings of all high school strength coaches would help with communication.   

Future topics of interest was one of the questions on the the form handed out.  Please feel free to respond with ideas that you would like presented at future conferences.

The cost of attending the conferences is always an issue with the high school coach.  We do not have the financial backing that others in the industry have.  Regional clinics geared specifically toward the high school coach were mentioned.  Some other things brought up were the idea of a listing of those willing to share rooms to reduce costs.

To me, the most important thing that we need to address is finding a way to share ideas - pose questions, and get people to visit a site with enough frequency to make it worthwhile.  We need to communicate between the conferences and learn from each other in a way that is easy to access. Please help me develop a directory of the high school coach so that no matter what initiatives we attempt that we are able to get the word out to all.

Kevin

Garrett Keith, CSCS 8/4/2012 12:00:04 AM
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:16 PM

Kevin,

Thanks for putting the meeting together at the conference. I feel like I benefited from it just by making some great contacts and having the opportunity to discuss issue that commonly face high school strength coaches.  

Kevin B. Vanderbush, MS, CSCS,*D, RSCC,*E 6/6/2012
Posted: Saturday, August 2, 2014 1:34 PM

I have heard so far from Fred Eaves, Ty Nordic and Lee Weber expressing an interest in the Executive Council for the High School SIG.  (there was more detailed info about what the Executive Council is on a previous post from last year - see thread below) and sending their resume's.  If anyone else is interested but hasn't contacted me yet, please e-mail to kevin.vanderbush@wayne.k12.in.us

Again - I am seeing that the forum is getting more views than replies.  There doesn't seem to be an interest in developing a directory of strength coaches as mentioned in a previous post (or no one is reading the forum to see that request) and I have not heard about a facebook page for the high school strength coach being set up.  I am realizing that my vision of a means of sharing information among high school coaches is not an interest shared by many, or I just haven't come up with the right way to get it off the ground.  

Douglas P. Bull, CSCS, RSCC 6/3/2012 8:52:30 PM
Posted: Monday, August 4, 2014 12:26 PM

Kevin,

I am sorry that I was unable to attend the conference again this year, but we had almost 800 kids still going through our summer program and makes it almost impossible to get away.

I am all for the Facebook idea, especially in terms of growth.  I think that when one of our strength coaches likes / follows us on Facebook; there are some of his/her friends who are strength coaches that may see it and follows as well. 

I think that if the high school strength coaches saw what we have to offer them as a professional, they would be more interested in becoming active.  Right now, there are limited reasons for them to do so.  The schools don’t require that they be certified. (Hopefully the NSCA will jump on the NCAA’s recent mandate and push it at the high school level as well).  The discussions, materials, and speakers at the conferences for our level are limited as well.  I know that there are a lot of coaches who don’t see the benefit of the cost. 

As far as reaching out to coaches; we created our own e-mail list of all the high school strength coaches here in Texas (NSCA or not) for our annual clinic.  I believe that you have to reach out to all of them some will see the benefit of the NSCA look even closer.  

I think that LinkedIn would also provide another way of reaching out to strength coaches and posting what different coaches are doing.  I personally don’t care for the NSCA forum.  It is just another site to check.  LinkedIn for example give me an e-mail notice when an interest group posts something new. I can look at it right then and determine if I want to read it, or comment on it.  Facebook will also send me an update if one of my discussions has a comment.  Both of which are more user friendly then the current SIG forum.