Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
attracting and keeping clients
Mackey Noguchi, NSCA-CPT 10/3/2012 9:03:52 PM
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:23 PM

hi I just started out as an NSCA-CPT and I would like to know some strategies or things I could say to convince people to buy sessions, I've been told i'm a good trainer but a terrible salesperson and I need to know how to improve that

Mackey Noguchi, NSCA-CPT

Ryan Eckert 10/29/2012 4:37:50 PM
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:49 PM

It's all about simply having confidence in the services and knowledge that you provide. I have worked in the sales arena of personal training ion a commercial gym setting, and let me tell you that I absolutely hated it after a while. The common theme among personal training sales today is pushing and plugging away until you get a "yes". Sometimes the approach is to use the "car-salesman" approach, however selling personal training is completely different than selling a car (as I'm sure you know). In order to attract new clients, and keep those clients (important!!), it is best to have confidence in your knowledge and provide clients with results. Once the results start coming, you will gain recognition and word will spread quicker than you think. Just stay true and be honest about what you can do to help an individual reach his or her goals. I have found that this approach works very well and is great for keeping clients around as you build a trusting and professional relationship with them.

Ryan Eckert, NSCA-CPT, CF-L1 Trainer

Martin Sorenson, CSCS 2/6/2013 5:55:55 AM
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 8:33 PM

Don't be afraid! You have earned your credential and can be assured that you have great knowledge, way above average. Remember it takes time to build yourself a reputation and customers really won't care until you show how much YOU care. Be genuine, be yourself, be diverse. Be prepared to work with anyone. Be good at helping out. Give it time... Everything will follow from here on as you build your main selling point. Reputation. Also offer current clients incentive to refer new clients to you by offering a free PT session. This really brings on new business!