Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
National Conference HS Coaches Session
Kevin B. Vanderbush, MS, CSCS,*D, RSCC,*E 6/6/2012
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 2:58 PM

This year at the National Conference - Thursday evening from 6:30-8:30 (after the exhibitors reception) - the NSCA has reserved a room for High School coaches.  (Issues Facing The High School Coach) This is our opportunity to get together network/ask questions/share ideas.  If attending the national this year plan to attend - and spread the word.  We have asked the NSCA for this opportunity to connect, and Virginia Meier and the NSCA have come through.
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:25 AM

If you think of any ideas that you would like to see addressed during the session mentioned above please post them here.
John E. Girton 6/5/2012 11:59:13 AM
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 6:58 PM

I am sure most of us could talk about everything. Fund raising, dealing with sport coaches (getting them to buy in, or dealing with my way coaches) I feel like these tend to be issues most seem to have. 

I am sure we can talk x's and o's for programming, speed, agility, conditioning all day.

Some other ideas could be talking athlete motivation/more accountability with athletes, or rewards/awards others use. Depending on what coaches are there, getting into the high school as a strength coach. 

Lastly I wouldn't mind talking about how we can promote the high school positions better nationally and getting involved more with volunteering with NSCA.

Hope this isn't too much, but I really could just talk shop about anything.

Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 10:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions John.  I am hoping the high school coaches attending this year's national conference will attend and see what a valuable opportunity this can be.
Eric Reed, CSCSD 8/13/2012 3:34:57 PM
Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 9:36 AM

Kevin,

Why don't we come up with 3 broad topics to cover and see where that takes us?  If we have a loose outline it might help us get in deeper discussion with those topics.  I feel if we leave it completely open we will have to much to cover.
Please let me know your thoughts.

Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 2:01 PM

That's probably a good idea, I am sure things can go everywhere if not on topic. Did you notice any topics at the AZ clinic that got more interest than others? 

1. - Admin (setting up, forms, jobs, better networking between strength coaches, ect) 

2. - Workouts (new ideas, tips, set ups, what works for you for lifting, speed, agility, evaluations, ect) 

3. - Future topics/presentations for high school coaches

Really open to any ideas, kinda interested what others would like to talk about. Like I said I just enjoy talking with you guys. Heading to the Univ of Michigan Clinic this weekend, I'll chat with a few peeps and see if there are things that more people are interested in talking/hearing about. 

Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 8:49 PM

My tentative plan is to divide into small groups - have each group discuss a certain topic - and then have each group share the best idea(s) within their group to the entire group.  I hope to get an idea of what areas/topics have the most interest through this forum, through e-mails, and through discussions with coaches between now and then.  Please continue to post the things you would most like to discuss/hear.  

Something I would like for us/the NSCA to develop is a place where all high school coaches can go to see what other coaches are doing.  Something where a coach can post their situation, what has worked for them, their thoughts behind developing their program/philosophy, things they have come up with that others could use, ways to motivate, teach, etc.  Basically a data base of high school strength programs.  

Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 9:28 PM

Really like that idea, that's what I was thinking with the admin idea having others post their info so others can use/tweak for what works for them.
Fred Eaves Jr, MAEd, CSCS 8/17/2012 3:26:51 PM
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 11:45 PM

Kevin, I really like that plan. We did that at a Hammer Strength conference I spoke at, and it was probably the highlight of the weekend. I am going to fly in just in time to make it to that Thursday. I will have to miss Wednesday due to our summer lifting program. Looking forward to it. Should be great stuff. I think the administrative part and the different types of situations that high school coaches might be in is some of the most important stuff we could possibly talk about. I know in my situation I get 26 "working" minutes each day. I now many high school coaches struggle with these types of issues as well. As a young or inexperienced coach I would have greatly benefited from hearing how experienced coaches deal with similar situations. Here are a few of the thoughts I had:

-Small school vs big school administratively

-Dealing with the multiple sport athlete (also plays into the small school part)

-Club and AAU influence (this is probably one of the most difficult things I deal with in terms of counting true volume for our athletes)

- Block scheduling vs the rotating schedule model

Just a few thoughts...

Fred

Fred Eaves Jr, MAEd, CSCS 8/17/2012 3:26:51 PM
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 11:47 PM

I definitely agree that you have to give it direction so I do believe that pre determined topics is definitely the way to go.

Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 2:19 PM

This has gotten way more views than posts.  Still interested in hearing what others think are the issues they would most like to hear discussed.
David M. Ballou, MS, CSCS 4/22/2013 12:18:40 PM
Posted: Thursday, May 1, 2014 12:49 PM

I'm looking forward to the conference and this opportunity specifically to talk with other high school strength coaches.  I am fortunate that I am located about 10 minutes from Kevin in Avon, Indiana.  Kevin has been instrumental in helping me develop our program over the past 13 years. 

Some topics of interest to me:

-Financial difficulty (how to survive on our own with declining education budgets)

-Different ideas that keep your program from getting stale for the athletes

-Specific training programming between schedules, teams, in season vs out of season, summer, athletic development......

-Overall number of athletes each coach deals with and strategies used for large group training

-How many teacher/strength coaches are out there?  (I know in our state thanks to Kevin many schools have copied what his job description is.) 

-Ways to include assistant/head coaches into the strength program to help them feel apart of it. 

Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:23 AM

I would still like to hear from more of you on the issues you would most like to discuss at the 2 hour session we will have at the national conference.  Please continue to post the topics you think would be the most useful use of that time we have to network/discuss.
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 10:14 PM

Some questions to consider for the issues session:

If we divide up into smaller groups and then share out, it would give more people an opportunity to share ideas.  Question 1.  Should we divide the groups based on similar situations (full time strength coach, after school strength coach, sport coach in the weight room, large school/small school, private sector, etc. - or should the groups be composed of a random sample of all who attend?  2.  Should we rotate groups after a certain amount of time to connect with more people?

Topics that have been expressed above:

1.  How can we find a way to do a better job of sharing things that pertain to the high school strength coach?  Can we have an icon on the NSCA site that would go directly to HS info?  Can it list all articles written about the high school situation?  Can it allow all coaches to post their programs, ideas, presentations, documents etc.?  Can we develop a panel of experienced coaches who regularly get on the site to answer questions from the high school coach?

2.  What type of presentations would the high school coach like to see offered at National and Coaches Conferences?  From what type of speaker - new guys/experienced coaches? Do we need to look at regional clinics specific to the high school coach?

3.  Is there any interest in having state by state High School Strength Coach organizations? Would we be able to develop surveys, e-mail lists etc. if we had state organizations?

4.  What are some ideas that you have come up with that are unique? Motivation, Large group instruction, Financial/Fund raising, Working with the sport coach, In-season issues, Multi-sport athletes, competition ideas, Educating administration, etc.

The more input that is expressed prior to the conference, the better the session will meet the needs of those in attendance.  Please post your ideas/thoughts.

Garrett Keith, CSCS 8/4/2012 12:00:04 AM
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 5:29 PM

In response to Coach Vanderbush "If we divide up into smaller groups and then share out, it would give more people an opportunity to share ideas.  Question 1.  Should we divide the groups based on similar situations (full time strength coach, after school strength coach, sport coach in the weight room, large school/small school, private sector, etc. - or should the groups be composed of a random sample of all who attend?  2.  Should we rotate groups after a certain amount of time to connect with more people?"

I think a random sample of all who attend will be beneficial because even though we all have differences in our situations we can always learn from each other. In saying that I also believe rotating groups would be great so we can connect and share with others. 

Thanks for putting this together. This should be a valuable time for high school strength coaches. 

Gary E. Schofield, Jr, ATC/L, CSCS,*D 6/5/2012 10:
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 10:05 PM

Coach Vanderbush,

Thank you for sharing so much and continuing to keep these forums open!  The HS Mtg at the Coaches Conference was outstanding and I am looking forward to learning from you all this National Conference.  Please let me know how I can help.  The list of topics I am most often asked about are:

Movement Screening and Corrective Exercise Progressions (how do I USE a movement screen)

Building a Winning Culture (Motivation, Competition, Interest, etc for parents, coaches and players)

Programming for Multi Sport Athlete

Programming for multi-levels (differentiated modifications for the beginner, intermediate and advanced athletes)

Recovery and Regeneration Programming and Implementation

Speed & Agility Progressions

Velocity Based Training for the High School Athlete

Those are just a few that seem to be asked a lot when I get to meet and learn with coaches.  Hope all is well and I look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

Gary Schofield, Jr. ATC/L, CSCS, *D

Patrick McHenry, MA, CSCS,*D, RSCC 6/5/2012 11:05:
Posted: Saturday, July 5, 2014 5:51 PM

Kevin

Can you go over the High School SIG guidelines? I know the NSCA has changed it guidelines and the executive council Chairman of the SIG is a 3 year limit.  What about the other positions, (i.e. vice chair and secretary)? If someone wants to run for the executive council HS SIG how do they do it? When are the elections? 

In the past, the executive council was given from one person to the next. If a member wanted off the HS SIG executive council, they were replaced with another member.

It was brought to my attention that a formal process needs to be followed so we can get more HS members involved and it would help us as a SIG.

thanks

Patrick McHenry 

Posted: Sunday, July 6, 2014 5:55 PM

The SIG Guidelines are available on the NSCA site.  If you go to Member Tools - SIG Program - Guidelines, a detailed guide is available.

Some of the highlights: 

Executive Council needs to have a Chair and a minimum of 2 additional members.  (Maximum including Chair is 7)

Executive Council appoints the Chair.  The Chair serves a maximum of one 3 year term.  Members serve 3 years (max of 2 terms or 6 years).  Outgoing Chair remains on for 1 year. 

Open positions are posted.  Those interested supply the Executive Council with a Resume and short statement.  New members are voted in at annual meeting.  The current Executive Council consists of a Chair, a Vice Chair and 3 members at large.  

We can add a discussion about the SIG Executive Council to the HS Session.

Patrick McHenry, MA, CSCS,*D, RSCC 6/5/2012 11:05:
Posted: Sunday, July 6, 2014 10:08 PM

Thanks. I had a couple coaches ask how they can become more involved and I wanted to make sure those who could not attend the conference would know the process. See you next week. Have a safe trip.

patrick

John E. Girton, MS, ATC, CSCS, RSCC 6/5/2012 11:59
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 8:17 PM

Due to some very recently family medical issues I had to back out of the conference, I am really disappointed I will miss the round table discussion, even though I will be unable to participate I am hoping worst case someone would be able to post a summary/notes of the meeting? I think it would be great for all coaches to see the updates and information discussed.